This one is for EnSight 10 only, folks. E10 has a new calculator function called EleMetric which has many features for mesh quality assessment. One function creates a scalar variable for each element which represents the type of element it is. Using this function one can color each element by element type. This tool is essentially a wrapper for EleMetric that adds some nice extras.
Download: color_by_element_type.zip (updated 2014-2-20)
Advantages of using this tool vs. manually coloring by EleMetric include:
- Automate simple steps: calculating the variable, naming the variable, coloring the parts, hiding the default legend, setting per-element variable coloring to discrete (palette option).
- Automatically sets the palette to the correct number of levels. One level for each element type.
- Gives consistent coloring of element types between sessions and using different datasets. For example triangles will always be colored light blue. Colors were chosen to contrast.
- Creation of a ‘legend’ consisting of text annotations that tell which element types each color refers to.
- Provides a note about the consequences of creating the variable on created parts vs. only on model parts. Also makes it easier to calculate only on model parts.